We love that you make the most out of the process, and that is why here in Educonnecting we'll accompany you at every stage so that you enjoy it to the fullest.

Follow us on:

Courses leading to permanent residency in Australia

Many international students are interested in studying courses that lead to permanent residency, as Australia is one of the favourite countries to emigrate to for various reasons, including its stable economy, job opportunities, quality of life, unmatched infrastructure and of course, its incredible landscapes.

That is why permanent residency in Australia is the goal of many people who come to the country.

After completing their studies of a minimum of two years at a university or institute of higher education, International students will be able to apply for a “post-study” work visa under subclass 485, that will allow them to work full time! One step closer to PR!

With the tourist or Work and Holiday visas you can only study for a short time in Australia, so they do not lead to permanent residency.

To get Permanent Residency after your student visa, you can take one of these 2 options:

1. Get a sponsor from a company.

2. Enter the General Qualified Migration Program.

Regardless of which pathway you choose, your studies and your profession must coincide and appear on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSLor the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).
Note: These listings are renewed every year, so they may vary according to the needs of the country.

Now ... How do you know which profession is in demand and if it is one of those that always appears on the list of occupations? Simple, select a course that ensures you a job as soon as you finish your studies and that can lead you to permanent residency in Australia.

Next, we present the professions that each year occupy the first positions so that you know what type of courses you can take to obtain permanent residence in Australia. Remember that the key to achieving this goal is choosing the right course.


Most engineering graduates obtain permanent residence in Australia. Almost all the specialisations can be found in the list of occupations most in demand, this is because they contribute to the country's industry.

International students with experience in the sector are more likely to get a sponsor or apply for the skilled visa.

On the other hand, if you have studied engineering in your country, but do not have the experience, what you can do is take a master's degree. Many Australian universities have a great offer. The investment can be high, but it will be worth it, as it is a sure way to achieve permanent residency.

You can take courses such as Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Production Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronic Engineering, etc.

Sanitary branch

Nursing: Health services are highly recognised in Australia. The infrastructures of the healthcare industry in Australia are considered the best in the world.

Although the infrastructures of the healthcare industry in Australia are considered the best in the world, this profession is also highly recognized in the country.

You can find a wide variety of Australian colleges and universities that offer excellent Nursing programs, as well as highly qualified professionals as teachers.
Nursing, being a demanded profession, appears every year in the List of Occupations.

Medicine: This is one of the most demanding professions in the Australian healthcare system. For this reason, striving to acquire a medical degree will always pay off financially.

Careers such as medicine, nursing, psychology, nutrition, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and veterinary medicine are the sure way to apply for permanent residence.
The Australian healthcare system always needs more professionals in this field.
If you do not have the experience you can take a master's degree or a TAFE.


You should know that the educational system in Australia is very prestigious since it is recognised worldwide for its high-quality standards.

Every year on the Occupation List there are offers for teachers of early childhood, primary, secondary, nursery, special education and sign language, among others.

If you are already a professional, you can study a VET course. In regional areas, there is always great demand, and it is a fairly common way of obtaining permanent residency in the country.
Another option you can take is to study a 2-year master's degree to be a secondary school teacher.

Hospitality and cooking

By occupying a strategic place within the world kitchen industry, Australia is always looking for new chefs capable of contributing new ideas and improving the menus. Looking for a job in this industry is easy, which is why studying cooking is an excellent option for international students. A course of more than 92 weeks in Hospitality and Commercial Cookery may lead to applying for a Temporary Graduate Subclass 485.


Accounting professionals are in the List of Occupations with the highest demand in the country. Within the industry, professionals with a speciality in Account Management, Tax or General Accounting are required.
The job offers are enough, so you can get certified by studying a two-year VET course.


The trades (such as electrician, plumber, mechanic, air conditioning installer, bricklayer ...), also have a large participation in the List of Occupations. You can choose to take a VET or TAFE course with which you can prepare to enter the job market.

Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)

The positions that have to do with the technological world are in high demand in Australia since there is a great offer for professionals in this area.
Taking a course on Information Technology will be an option to obtain permanent residency: Programming and Application Software, Computer Networks and Systems, Web Development, ICT Sector and Systems Analysis are some of them.

How to obtain residency in Australia: minimum course requirements

While studying any of these courses may lead you to obtain a permanent residence visa, you must take into account other factors that you must bear in mind:

  • The course you take must be approved by CRICOS.
  • Its duration must be a minimum of two years full time.
  • Apply for residency no later than 6 months after finishing your studies.
  • Comply with all the requirements requested by the Government, such as qualifications, validations, level of English, skills assessment.
  • Your job must meet the job description.

You just read: "Courses Leading to Permanent Residence in Australia". To learn more about the universities and institutions that offer these types of academic programs. Register here so that one of our Student Counsellors can advise you and resolve all your concerns regarding the process. Keep fulfilling your dreams in Australia with Educonnecting!

    Tell us what would you like to do?

    Study abroadRenew visa

    What would you like to study?

    In which country would you like to live?

    Which city would you want to live in?

    When do you plan to travel?

    In which country do you live?

    In which city do you live?

    In which city do you live?

    In which city do you live?

    In which city do you live?

    When did you arrive to Australia?

    What type of visa do you have?

    When does your visa expire?

    What is your nationality?

    Full name




    Leave a comment