Learn about the free document translation service for international students in Australia
The Australian Government offers a free document translation service to international students so that they can translate certain documentation. You can access this service for up to two years from the date your visa was granted.
If you want to use this service, you simply have to comply with the following requirements:
- Have a student visa or other temporary residence visas (not valid for W&H)
- Your visa has been granted in the two years prior to the day on which you are applying.
- Have not exceeded the limit of 10 documents previously.
Steps to request the free translation service:
Step 1: Log in to https://translating.homeaffairs.gov.au/en/ and click Start Application
Read the message that appears there and then accept the terms and conditions (check the first two boxes if you are doing the process yourself)
Step 2: Enter the class number of your visa, e.g: 500
Answer the questions according to the instructions.
Step 3: Enter all your personal data and verify that everything is correct so that you can continue.
Step 4: Here you must upload the following documentation:
- The VEVO document certifying your visa.
Step 5: In this last step you will need to upload the documents you want to be translated, it is important to keep in mind that there is a limit of 10 documents. The documents you upload should look good so you don't have any problems with the translation.
- When you upload the documents you will be asked for certain information so that you can fill out what type of document it is and the language, and you can add notes if necessary.
- When it is complete you just have to give 'Save' and if you have more than one document, you must repeat the process with the rest of the documents and apply to the translation.
Step 6: When finished, a message will appear with the application number, write it down and save it in case you have to make a query later.
Step 7: After 2 or 3 days of submitting your application you will receive an email confirming if your translation has been accepted, meaning you will be able to know if you are eligible after this email arrives.
- A translator will review the documents.
- If everything is OK, you will receive the translated documents to your email within 30 days.
If you need assistance with your request, you can contact support at 1800 962 100 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Sydney time Monday through Friday.
These are the types of documents you can translate:
The following documents are eligible to be translated for free, please note that you cannot translate the same document twice.
- Academic transcripts (see note)
- Birth certificates
- Business documents
- Change of name documents
- Civil society certificates
- Custody documents
- Death certificates
- Divorce documents
- Driver's licenses (see note)
- Educational documents
- Employment documents
- Family records
- Home registration documents
- Identical documents
- Marriage certificates
- Medical documents
- Occupational licenses
- Police clearance certificates
- Religious documents
- Vaccination documents
Note: An academic transcript is a document that records the name of the student and the grade awarded. Documents that include extensive course descriptions or comments on student performance are not accepted as academic transcripts.
International driver's licenses are also not accepted for free translation. This must be a national driver's license.
If there is a translation error, you can do the following:
Request a correction for a period of six (6) months from the date of submission of the original translation request.
Send an email to [email protected] or use the contact form on their website. There they will review your application, and then provide you with the updated translation at no cost.
You can also call 1800 962 100 and make this request by phone.
If you were interested in: “Learn about the free document translation service for international students in Australia” Stay tuned to our social media and subscribe to our Newsletter, so you'll get all updates and announcements on topics of interest.